mobile nav

Subject

Bryant and May - Fairfield Works

Group  From 1861  To 1979

Categories: Industry

Halfway along Fairfield Road stands the old Bryant and May Factory. A Grade II listed building designed by Holman and Goodrham. The brick entrance includes a depiction of Noah’s Ark and the word "Security" used as a trademark on the matchboxes. It used to be the largest match factory in the UK and at full production in 1911, the site employed more than 2,000 women and girls. It was the site of the Matchgirls Strike. See also Gladstone's statue at Bow Church.

The factory closed in 1979 when the business transferred to Liverpool and the building is now a gated private apartment complex known as the Bow Quarter.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Bryant and May - Fairfield Works

Information Commemorated at

71082

Bryant & May Testimonial fountain - lost

This elaborate fountain was commissioned by Bryant and May to celebrate the a...

Read More

51791

Bryant & May Testimonial fountain - plaque

This plaque is a rarity: a memorial to a memorial! The site of the fountain ...

Read More

72647

Fairfield Works

Fairfield Works Fairfield Road. The scene of the match girls strike of 1888. ...

Read More