Person    | Male  Born 18/1/1920  Died 15/1/2007

Bruce Kenrick

Categories: Community / Clubs, Religion

Countries: Scotland, USA

Minister and housing campaigner. Born Bruce Henderson Kenrick at 14 Poulter Road, Walton, Liverpool. He practised medicine during World War II and decided to pursue a career as a doctor. While at university he changed direction and studied divinity. After working in the East Harlem Protestant parish project in New York, he returned to Britain and was ordained, settling in the Notting Hill area of London. This was then a far cry from the desirable location of today and he was appalled at the conditions in which some people were living. This led him to found the Notting Hill Housing Trust and eventually Shelter. Father of Ann Kenrick OBE. He moved to Iona and died at the Lorn and Islands District General Hospital, Oban.

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Bruce Kenrick

Commemorated ati

Bruce Kenrick

Bruce Kenrick, 1920 - 2007, founder of Notting Hill Housing Trust and Shelter...

Read More

Other Subjects

The Boltons Association

The Boltons Association

Founded to protect and improve the environment and to stimulate public interest in the neighbourhood.

Group, Community / Clubs

1 memorial
Young Womens Christian Association

Young Womens Christian Association

From their website: YWCA was founded in 1855 by Miss Emma Robarts and The Hon Mrs Arthur Kinnaird. Miss Robarts started organising groups for young women who were coming to London for the first ti...

Group, Community / Clubs, Religion

1 memorial
Sybil Phoenix OBE

Sybil Phoenix OBE

Born Sybil Theodora Phoenix Marshall in British Guiana (now Guyana). Community worker, the first black woman to be awarded the MBE, in 1973. Was Mayor of Lewisham. See EachOneTeachOne for more info.

Person, Community / Clubs, Race Issues

1 memorial
Marquee Club

Marquee Club

First opened on 19 April 1958 at 165 Oxford Street and then in 1964 moved to 90 Wardour Street, where it stayed until 1988. It was at 105-107 Charing Cross Road (a former cinema) from August 1988 -...

Place, Community / Clubs, Music / songs

2 memorials