Building    From 1730 

Aubrey House

Categories: Architecture

Built in 1698 by a group of doctors and apothecaries as a spa. It was originally called 'The Villa', became Notting Hill House in 1795 and was renamed as Aubrey House in the 1850s. It is now a grade II listed building. The name is derived from Aubrey de Vere, who was the Norman feudal lord of the area. After Buckingham Palace, it has the second largest private garden in London.

At the Library Time Machine you can see some charmingly amateurish paintings of the inside of the house in 1817-18, and learn more about the history of the house. Owned and occupied briefly by the local developer Joshua Flesher Hanson.

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Aubrey House

Commemorated ati

Aubrey House

London County Council Aubrey House stands on the site of Kensington Wells an ...

Read More

Other Subjects

Hammersmith and Fulham Historic Buildings Group

Hammersmith and Fulham Historic Buildings Group

Founded to focus attention on the historic environment of the borough and to record, preserve and enhance its historic buildings.

Group, Architecture, Community / Clubs, History

14 memorials
James Edmeston

James Edmeston

Architect and prolific writer of church hymns (nearly 2000!). Born Wapping. Died Homerton where he was a church warden at St. Barnabas.

Person, Architecture, Music / songs, Religion

1 memorial
Sir Charles Barry

Sir Charles Barry

Born in London. Architect of the Houses of Parliament, after the 1834 fire. One of the Commissioners for the Great Exhibition. Father of the architect Charles Barry Jnr, engineer Wolfe-Barry and th...

Person, Architecture

5 memorials
John Johnson

John Johnson

Architect. Born Hoxton. Our information comes from the Victorian Web which names many buildings that Johnson worked on.

Person, Architecture

3 memorials