Founded by munitions workers in Woolwich, under the name 'Dial Square'. This was the name of the Royal Arsenal complex where they worked, and also explains the team's nickname of 'The Gunners'. They renamed as 'Royal Arsenal', then 'Woolwich Arsenal' before settling upon their current name in 1914. They played at Highbury Stadium from 1913 until 2006, when they moved into their newly built current home, which was sponsored by and named after the Emirates Airline.
May 2022: A temporary statue of Vivianne Miedema was unveiled at the stadium. "The statue was originally created as part of the Adidas campaign ‘support is everything’, which looked to highlight the fact that there were more statues of animals than women in London. This led to the creation of eight statues of women who can inspire the next generation."
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk