All Saints Cemetery
Place From 1840
Now known as Nunhead cemetery, it was one of the so-called 'magnificent seven' cemeteries, opened on the outskirts of London in the nineteenth century, to alleviate the overcrowding in parish burial grounds. It was nearly full by the mid-nineteenth century and was abandoned and left to turn to woodland. In 1981, the Friends of Nunhead Cemetery was formed and restored many of the memorials. It re-opened in May 2001, and is now classified as a local nature reserve, with a rich wildlife including tawny owls and woodpeckers.