Head of the choir school at St Pauls. When he died he was vicar of St. Giles's, Cripplegate, and Prebendary of St. Paul's.
Andrew Behan and kindly researched this entry for us:
Born 2 Paradise Place, Hackney, the son of Frederick and Mary Barff née Harris. His father was a surgeon. In June 1841 the family were living at Portland Place Hackney. He gained his M.A. at Pembroke College, Oxford and in 1858 he was the vicar of North Moreton church, Berkshire where he formed the Moreton Cricket Club. He remained in North Moreton for many years but on the April 1881 census he is shown as the headmaster of St Pauls Choir School at 28-36 Carter Lane which educated boys aged between 8 and 14 years and trained them as choristers for St Paul's Cathedral. In April 1891 he was the vicar of St Giles, Cripplegate and was living in the vicarage in Well Street. He died, a bachelor, at the West London Hospital, Hammersmith. His estate amounted to £3,840 6s.11d.