Group    From 1902  To 1933

A. B. Burton Foundry

Categories: Craft / Design

Group

Founder based in Thames Ditton.  From Exploring Surrey's Past: The foundry was established in Summer Road, Thames Ditton, in 1874 by Cox and Sons, ecclesiastical suppliers, to cast ornaments and statues in bronze, and the hand operated gantry crane, which moved the entire foundry floor to facilitate all major lifting work, was an integral part of the building constructed for this work. The business, which produced a large number of major castings, became Drew and Co in 1880, then Moore and Co in 1883, and was taken over by A J Hollinshead and A B Burton in 1897, and after the former's death in 1902 acquired the title of A B Burton, which it retained until his death in 1933. Burton's son in law, L R Tricker, closed the business and sold the foundry in 1939, when it seemed likely that it would be taken over for munitions manufacture. Thereafter it was used by London Metal Warehouses for making industrial castings, and then by Metal Centres Ltd, as a metal warehouse, until 1971/2 when it was sold to the District Council. The foundry was demolished in 1976 and the crane removed for preservation by the Surrey Archaeological Society.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
A. B. Burton Foundry

Creations i

Emmeline Pankhurst monument

Walker sculpted the statue, Baker designed the plinth. Unveiled by Baldwin. ...

Read More

George, Duke of Cambridge

We love that "etc." for his string of honours. Reddit have a magnificent phot...

Read More

Imperial Camel Corps

The sculptor was also a member of the corps. Unveiled by Chetwode. For anothe...

Read More

Kitchener statue

{On the front of the plinth:} Kitchener, 1850 - 1916 {On the front of the lo...

Read More

Physical Energy

{On a plaque laid into the ground in front of the statue:} George Frederic Wa...

Read More

Other Subjects

R. Townsend

R. Townsend

Carpenter at St Pauls in 1979.

Person, Craft / Design

1 memorial
Mather and Smither
1 memorial
garment and textile industries in the East End

garment and textile industries in the East End

The origins of the East End textile industry can be traced to the 14th century when Flemish artisans set up dye works on the River Lea. In the late 17th century the Huguenots arrived in Spitalfield...

Concept, Commerce, Craft / Design, Industry

4 memorials
Boris Anrep

Boris Anrep

Mosaic artist. Also wrote poetry in Russian and English. Born Russia. Came to England in 1899 to learn English. Spent time in St Petersburg, Edinburgh and Paris. A 1904 visit to see the mosaics in ...

Person, Art, Craft / Design, Russia

6 memorials

Previously viewed

J. H. Evins

J. H. Evins

Architect active in the late 1800s.

Person, Architecture

1 memorial
Queen Victoria as Peace

Queen Victoria as Peace

N20, Barnet Lane, Friary Park

An information panel was erected in front of the statue by the Mayor of Barnet on 18 June 2016. It tells the story of the Park and the st...

1 subject commemorated, 4 creators
Hackney Council

Hackney Council

Hackney Council was created in 1965 from the 3 Metropolitan Borough Councils of Hackney, Shoreditch and Stoke Newington, all three of which had been created in 1900. Previously they had been paris...

Group, Politics & Administration

61 memorials
Scottish National Church

Scottish National Church

From the church's website: Crown Court Church is unique in its history as the longest-established Presbyterian church in England, dating from 1711. The Church of Scotland has been active in London...

Building, Religion

1 memorial
Whitgift School

Whitgift School

Founded by John Whitgift. It was originally located in North End, Croydon and moved to its current site, Haling Park in 1931. Between 1871 and 1946 it was known as Whitgift Grammar School, after wh...

Building, Education

1 memorial