Sir John Cass - Jewry Street
EC3, Jewry Street, 31
Building by A. W. Cooksey, 1900. The small busts of the charity children recall the statues which flanked the original Cass statue in its original site. Ornamental Passions like the ornamental sculpture on this building very much.
From Our History "The first school building stood in the corner of the Churchyard of St Botolph’s and consisted of two storeys. The school was housed on the upper floor, and the rents from the shops on the ground floor, and the fees for the burials in the vaults below, were applied to the upkeep of the school. The pupils (there were 50 boys and 40 girls) wore a blue-coat uniform, and took their meals in Aldgate, which stood across the road, and was where the Master and Mistress lived."