Plaque: Woodford Green Men's Club - Roberts
Erection date: 12/5/1904
This building was presented by J. R. Roberts Esq. JP, on the 12th day of May 1904 under trust for the benefit of the inhabitants of the neighbourhood.
This plaque is protected from the rain by a projecting granite shelf, above.
The small modern green plaque below reads: "Green Apple Awards 2006 for the built environment present to Russell Prince of The Door in recognition of efforts to preserve and enhance our architectural heritage and built environment. National Gold Winner - Chapel on the Green, Woodford Green."
Site: Woodford Green Men's Club (2 memorials)
IG8, High Road Woodford Green, 499 - 501
This was built as a chapel for independent Wesleyans in 1869. A replacement church was built elsewhere in 1904 and this building was bought by Sir J. R. Roberts, who presented it for public use. by 1965 it was in use by the Club. Bucks Free Press describes the residential accommodation that it became in 2005.
The ornate underneath of the door canopy includes a monogram: "WMC" for Wesleyan Methodists Chapel.
The Roberts plaque is the left of the door, WW1 to the right.