Plaque: William Morris and Edward Lloyd
William Morris, 1834 - 1896, lived here, 1848 - 1856.
Edward Lloyd, publisher, lived here, 1857 - 1885.
Borough of Walthamstow
Site: William Morris and Edward Lloyd (1 memorial)
E17, Forest Road, William Morris Gallery, Lloyd Park
The house was known as Water House when the Morrises moved in, after the death of the father of the family.
Frank Lloyd (Edward's son) gave the house and gardens to Walthamstow Council in 1898, to be used by the public as a recreation ground - providing the council bought some adjoining land to be used as playing fields. Hence the surrounding gardens are 'Lloyd Park'. In 1950 the house became a Museum of Morris' life and works, recently refurbished as the William Morris Gallery.