Plaque   

Whittington's house

Whittington's house + church Whittington's house
Inscription

The house of Richard Whittington Mayor of London stood on this site 1423.
Corporation of the City of London

Site: Whittington's house + church (2 memorials)

EC4, College Hill, 20 and St Michael Paternoster Royal

Whittington lived nearby and paid for the rebuilding and enlargement of the church St Michael Paternoster Royal.  Upper Thames Street is where the river bank used to be so this house was very close to the river.

2017: Londonist (who else?) report that Whittington funded the construction of a massive toilet with seats for 128 people. Opened in 1421 Whittington's Longhouse was probably located just the other side of Upper Thames Street - we'd guess it was right on the river.  And it would seem likely that he gave some of his own land for the purpose.

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Whittington's house

Subjects commemorated Information

Whittington's house

Whittington had a number of addresses in London: Hart Street, Mark Lane, Swee...

Read More

Dick Whittington

Born in Pauntley, Gloucestershire, second son of a wealthy man. Thrice Lord M...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Whittington's house

Created by Information

Corporation of the City of London

In addressing the 'square mile' concept Londonist has provided a potted histo...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Whittington's house

Also at this site Information

Whittington's church

Richard Whittington, four times Mayor of London, founded and was buried in th...

Read More

Nearby Memorials

Hector Berlioz

Hector Berlioz

W1, Queen Anne Street, 58

Greater London Council Hector Berlioz, 1803 - 1869, composer, stayed here in 1851.

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
The Great Storm - Ken Wood

The Great Storm - Ken Wood

NW3, Ken Wood

The Great Storm In the early hours of 16th October 1987, a hurricane force wind swept through Ken Wood. 54 mature trees were blown down a...

16 subjects commemorated, 18 creators
Roman Road - Iceni Court

Roman Road - Iceni Court

E3, Parnell Road, 74, Iceni Court

The plaque is on the right of the 'Iceni Court' name plaque. The Iceni were a Brittonic tribe of eastern Britain during the Iron Age and...

1 subject commemorated, 2 creators
Foundation Stone NAAS

Foundation Stone NAAS

NW1, Euston Square, 30

This plaque refers to the Euston Road extension to the original 1908 Beresford Pite building, which is of much higher quality. Neill  wa...

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
French Protestant Church - St Martin's le Grand

French Protestant Church - St Martin's le Grand

EC1, St Martin's le Grand, Nomura House

Site of the French Protestant Church, demolished 1888. The Corporation of the City of London

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator