Plaque: Wenlock Barn Estate
Erection date: 10/9/1949
Metropolitan Borough of Shoreditch
Linale House, the first block of flats to be erected on the Wenlock Barn Estate, was opened by His Worship the Mayor of Shoreditch (Alderman R. G. Linale JP) on the 10th September 1949.
Chairman of the Housing Committee - Coun. J. Samuels
Vice- Chairman - Coun. R. J. Tallantire, LCC
C. T. Fulcher OBE MI.Mun.E - Architect
H. Richardson & Sons Ltd - Builders
Charles A. James B.Sc - Town Clerk
The plaque is on the first floor balcony, in our photo partly hidden by tree foliage.
Site: Wenlock Barn Estate (1 memorial)
N1, Murray Grove, Linale House
A map of 1837 shows nothing in this area but for a row of detached "Wenlock Cottages" along what is now Shepherdess Walk, but it must have soon been developed since we've read that these blocks of flats replaced Victorian terraced housing. The 1949 development included a school, community centre and library.