mobile nav

Memorial

Water trough - R. McC. Queen Victoria's column and water trough

Fountain: Water trough - R. McC.

Erection date: 1899

Inscription

{On both ends:}
The bequest of R. McC. 1899
{On one side:}
Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association

From the RBKC pdf: "This trough was originally erected in 1900 in Kensington Crescent. The crescent was demolished in 1933 (the site is now occupied by Charles House {on Kensington High Street, immediately west of Warwick Road}) and the trough was relocated to Warwick Gardens in 1934. It was donated by Mr McCheane. This has also been restored."

Site: Queen Victoria's column and water trough (2 memorials)

W14, Warwick Gardens

The RBKC pdf gives: "The widening of the High Street in 1934 necessitated the removal of the column from its original site {and the trough from a different original site} to the northern end of Warwick Gardens. The space was originally intended to be the centre of a garden square until the plans were changed to give access to Pembroke Road."

What are all these palm trees doing at this corner? We counted four, including the massive one which is obscuring the column. It meant we had no chance of getting a photo of the relief bust on the north side, so we are grateful that someone managed it and put it on Pinterest.

View this memorial on a map

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Water trough - R. McC.

Information Subjects commemorated

R. McCheane

The Newspaper Archive, London Mid Surrey Times and General Advertiser, 1 Apri...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Water trough - R. McC.

Information Created by

Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association

Started by Samuel Gurney MP and the barrister, Edward Thomas Wakefield. Londo...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Water trough - R. McC.

Information Also at this site

Victoria's column

Unveiled by Princess Louise, and her husband the Duke of Argyll in1904 in Ken...

Read More