Fountain: Thornton's Fountain
Erection date: 22/8/1877
Presented by William Thornton Esqre., senior church warden of St. Pancras. 22nd August 1877.
This drinking fountain, manufactured in cast-iron by 'Andrew Handyside & Co. Ltd. of Derby & London' was presented in 1877 at the opening of the park by Churchwarden Thornton. The design is based on the Choragic monument of Lysicrates in Athens. It is topped with a delightful cherub bearing an urn on its shoulder and dressed in a garment which preserves its modesty at the front very well but is all too revealing at the back.
Memorial Drinking Fountains has some photos of this fountain (including Paul McCartney slaking his thirst here), and reports that 1862 - 1930s there was a near-identical fountain at Clerkenwell Green.
Site: Thornton's Fountain (1 memorial)
NW1, Pancras Road, St Pancras Gardens