Plaque   

Thames Tunnel - Rotherhithe

Thames Tunnel - Rotherhithe Thames Tunnel - Rotherhithe

Erection date: 25/9/1993

Inscription

International Historic Civil Engineering Landmark
Thames Tunnel constructed 1825 - 1843. First shield-driven subaqueous tunnel. Sir Marc Isambard Brunel, civil engineer. Presented 25th September 1993. Institution of Civil Engineers and American Society of Civil Engineers. Erected by kind permission of London Underground Limited. 
{Shield at top left:} American Society of Civil Engineers founded 1852.
{Shield at top right:} Unidentifiable emblem. 

Site: Thames Tunnel - Rotherhithe (1 memorial)

SE16, Brunel Road, Rotherhithe Station

The plaque is at the bottom of the escalators and stairs.

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Thames Tunnel - Rotherhithe

Subjects commemorated Information

Sir Marc Isambard Brunel

Civil Engineer, born Hacqueville, Normandy, France. Educated in France, but f...

Read More

Brunel's Thames Tunnel

The first tunnel in the world under a navigable river. Built between 1825 and...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Thames Tunnel - Rotherhithe

Created by Information

American Society of Civil Engineers

Founded to represent members of the civil engineering profession worldwide. B...

Read More

Institution of Civil Engineers

A professional body committed to supporting and promoting professional learni...

Read More

Transport for London / London Transport

This organisation has been a bit of a political football, often having its na...

Read More

Nearby Memorials

Gunpowder Plot

Gunpowder Plot

N1, Hoxton Street

Monteagle was at dinner when he received the letter so he passed it to a servant to read aloud. This servant was closely connected to one...

4 subjects commemorated, 1 creator
Coopers' Corner

Coopers' Corner

EC2, Basinghall Street

In our picture the blue plaque is above the orange barriers and the Coopers' Hall memorial is on the low wall to the left, in front of a ...

1 subject commemorated
Fairfield Works

Fairfield Works

E3, Fairfield Road, Bow Quarter, Arlington Building

This plaque was lost sometime July 2021 - August 2022.

2 subjects commemorated, 1 creator
St Olave's Church

St Olave's Church

EC3, Hart Street

'The Uncommerical Traveller' was the name of articles that Dickens wrote for his own journal 'All the Year Round'.

5 subjects commemorated, 1 creator
Tachbrook - Foundation

Tachbrook - Foundation

SW1, Bessborough Street

Pulford Street and the Equitable Gas Works used to occupy this six acre site.  In the 1930s the Pulford Street Site Committee was respons...

3 subjects commemorated