Site: St Peters Eaton Square (4 memorials)
SW1, Eaton Square, St Peters
The 4 memorials recorded at this site are related as follows: the same WW2 bomb that killed Austin Thompson also demolished the WW1 memorial. This lost memorial (no image) was replaced with two memorials: the seat, and then, later, the plaque with the list of names.
The two plaques are in the porch, behind the columns. The seat is visible to the far right of our photo, through the railings.
Designed in the classical style by architect Henry Hakewill in 1827 this church was enlarged in 1875. Following serious damage by an arsonist in 1987 the interior was redesigned and the church, reopened in 1991, is now extremely light and airy.
There is one more memorial on the outside of this church, at the back, to its daughter church St John's, Wilton Road.