Plaque: St Martin's Gardens - restored
Erection date: 10/6/2006
St Martin's Gardens
Originally laid out as public grounds in 1889 by the Vestry of St Pancras. Restored by the London Borough of Camden. Rededicated as a public garden fro the local community by the Countess of Rosebery on 10th day of June 2006.
We initially struggled to identify just who the Countess of Rosebery was in 2006, being led astray by what we have to put down to an error in 'The Peerage'. What is the aristocracy coming to!
Site: St Martin's Gardens (2 memorials)
NW1, St Martin's Gardens, Camden Street
The plaques are just inside the gates, on the wall behind the pillar. The gravestones littering this park and its name suggest that it used to be the graveyard for St Martin's Church opposite, but London Cemeteries explains that it was opened in 1805 as the new cemetery for St Martin's in the Fields, in St Martin's Lane.