St John's Gate
This building was the main entrance to the Grand Priory of the Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem. The original gatehouse was erected about the year 1148 & was burnt down by Wat Tyler in 1381. It was restored by Prior John Redington & was finally rebuilt in its present form by Prior Thomas Docwra in 1504. The Grand Priory buildings were appropriated by the crown in 1559. The order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem resumed possession of this gatehouse in 1873.
When we first spotted this plaque it was brass and quite brief. Sometime around 2009 it was replaced with the classy inscribed stone plaque that we have photographed, which gives much more information.
Site: St John's Gate (1 memorial)
EC1, St John's Lane