Plaque: Savoy - crown
Within these precincts stood the Palace of Savoy, the erection of which was begun by Peter, ninth count of Savoy and Earl of Richmond, AD 1246. Henry III King of England bestowed the site "in vico qui vocato la straunde" on February 12th 1246 and there was erected a palace. "The fayrest mannor in Europe" big enough for a large part of an army.
Site: Savoy Hotel and Theatre (10 memorials)
WC2, Savoy Court
In 1903-10 the Savoy Hotel was built by Colcutt and Macmurdo. The magnificently Art Deco Savoy Theatre is in the western section. The short road leading to the entrance to the Savoy Hotel is unusual in London in that the traffic drives on the right.
The walls along this road display seven delightful Art Deco plaques made of wood, chrome and ceramic, each topped with "SH". We have entitled these plaques after the image each bears at the bottom. There is also one other, not so lovely, brass plaque to the restoration of the theatre, and a very dull one to the restoration of the hotel. These two make an uncomfortable pair, the unveiling duties having been carried out by the Princess and Prince of Wales.
There are 6 plaques on the east side of the road, one at the end and 2 on the west side. Reading clockwise they are: crown, rose, flowers, feathers, eagle, CRII, Charles, theatre and AR-MR.
2011 - we've replaced two pictures (previously taken during a major restoration) to show the newly gilded Peter statue.