Erection date: 4/8/1863
This chief stone of the new building, in extension of the Sailors' Home was laid on the 4th day of August in the year of our Lord 1863 and the 27th year of the reign of her most gracious majesty Queen Victoria by the Rt. Honble. Lord Viscount Palmerston, KC.
The new building was opened by HRH Albert Edward Prince of Wales on 22nd May 1865.
Site: Sailors Home extension (1 memorial)
E1, Dock Street , alley behind the buildings
As we photographed the nearby Cable Street plaque a 'person of the street' approached and told us about another plaque, down a dark alley and out of sight. It demonstrates our commitment to the hunt for memorials that we can display here the photographs we took of this plaque. Most people, most of the time, mean well and can be trusted.