Plaque: Rotherhithe Tunnel - south - 2
Erection date: 1908
Rotherhithe Tunnel commenced in 1904 and opened in 1908 by His Royal Highness, the Prince of Wales.
R.A. Robinson, J.P - Chairman of the Council
W. Whitaker Thompson - Vice-Chairman
A.A Allen, M.P. - Deputy-Chairman
The Lord Elcho - Chairman of Improvements Committee
W. Burton Stewart - Vice Chairman
Maurice Fitzmaurice, C.M.G. - Chief Engineer
Edward H. Tabor - Resident Engineer
Contractors - Messrs Price and Reeves
Contractors' Engineer - James Brown
London County Council
Site: Rotherhithe Tunnel - south (2 memorials)
SE16, Brunel Road
The plaques are on the stone pillars either side of the entrance; plaque 1 to the left in our photo and plaque 2 to the right. The strange arch is actually part of the cutting edge of the tunnelling shield that was used to dig the tunnel. There is an almost identical pair of plaques at the northern entrance to the tunnel.
A third abandoned tunnelling shield can be seen and walked through in a tunnel at Bank tube station.