Plaque

Rev. Forsyth

Erection date: 1929

Inscription

Per Aspera Tenax {Latin for 'Steadfast through adversity'}
{Either side of the relief bust:} 1768 - 1843
To the memory of the Reverend Alexander John Forsyth, MA, LLD, Minister of Belhelvie, Aberdeenshire. In 1805 he conducted experiments in the Tower under the Master General of Ordnance and in 1807 invented the percussion system which was adopted by the British Army in 1839.

This tablet erected in 1929 by admirers of his genius.

{At bottom left is a relief labelled:}
Carbine lock
{At bottom right a relief labelled:}
3pdr. lock

Our thanks once again to David Hopkins for his generosity with his Latin knowledge.

Site: Rev. Forsyth (1 memorial)

EC3, Tower of London

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Rev. Forsyth

Subjects commemorated i

Reverend Alexander John Forsyth

Born in his father's manse at Belhelvie, Aberdeenshire, where he later become...

Read More

Nearby Memorials

Nancy Mitford

Nancy Mitford

W1, Curzon Street, 10

On the declaration of war, Nancy's Fascist sister Unity had shot herself in the head, but survived and returned to England where her moth...

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
John Campbell, VC

John Campbell, VC

SW1, Victoria Embankment, Victoria Embankment Gardens

Reading right to left: De Pass; Rhodes-Moorhouse; Keysor; Campbell; Dunville; Colyer-Fergusson; Hewitt; Elliott-Cooper; Watson; Drummond;...

War served | WW1
2 subjects commemorated, 1 creator
P. L Travers

P. L Travers

SW3, Smith Street, 50

We thank our colleague Alan Patient for providing these photos. The Daily Mail reported that in the 1964 Mary Poppins film this "... hou...

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Sulloniacae

Sulloniacae

HA7, Brockley Hill

This is an unusual plaque - painted on a large wooden board that looks like it was intended to be somewhere more populated, holding more ...

1 subject commemorated
Prince of Wales Hospital - 1884

Prince of Wales Hospital - 1884

N15, Tottenham Green East, 6, Deaconess Court

From the ever-useful Lost Hospitals: In 1868 the Evangelical Protestant Deaconesses' Institution and Training Hospital moved into Avenue ...

1 subject commemorated