Plaque: Property marker - N5
This property extends eleven feet in front of this stone.
Wonder if that shape at the top of the stone (filled in with cement, we think) used to hold an identifying shield?
2020: Via Facebook we were contacted by Jay Cee reporting that their garden in Rosa Alba Mews also has "one of these" with a "metal shield with a lion and H in it". This prompted us to find this 1869-71 map which shows "B.M. 128.7" at exactly the site of our marker and "B.M. 133.5" immediately to the north of the north end of what is now Rosa Alba Mews. ("B.M." presumably = Boundary Marker). On modern maps that area seems to have been totally taken over by St Joan of Arc School so we are a bit puzzled. We hope Jay Cee will reply to our request for contact, and we hope to get over there soon and have a look at the Mews ourselves.
Site: Property marker - N5 (1 memorial)
N5, Kelross Road
OK, it's not a memorial and we can't find any information about it, but we are so proud of having spotted it - we are keeping it in.
Similar in function to Elger's boundary marker, but with no names or dates to assist.
The local manor house, Highbury House, used to be on the site of Eton House, Leigh Road, to the south-west. This marker may have been on the boundary of those grounds, but we don't have access to historical maps of the area so we are guessing.