Plaque: Pillars of Hercules public house
The Pillars of Hercules, Soho, W1.
'The Pillars of Hercules' has occupied this site since before 1700. It is first recorded in 1709, though the present building does not date back to then. Traditionally the haunt of artists and writers, it has been frequented by the poet and cricket lover Francis Thompson, author of 'The Hound of Heaven'. The 'Hercules Pillars' also figures in 'A tale of Two Cities'. Greek Street was named from the Greek church built in 1677 for refugees from the oppression of the Ottoman Turks. The name 'Pillars of Hercules' celebrates the popular hero, Hercules, renowned for his strength and courage.
Site: Pillars of Hercules public house (1 memorial)
W1, Greek Street
Plaque actually in Manette Street