mobile nav

Memorial

Penton Estate Penton Estate

Memorial: Penton Estate

Erection date: 1977

Inscription

{A stone plaque is laid into the wall, low down below the capital:}
On this site stood the office of the Penton Estate built by Henry Penton, 1736 - 1812, MP, who gave his name to this part of London.
Architect - John Melvin & Partners
Contractors - G. E. Wallis & Sons Ltd
1977

Site: Penton Estate (1 memorial)

N1, Risinghill Street

The plaque hints that the disembodied red Corinthian capital was salvaged from the Penton Estate Office, of which we can find no image. Our guess is that it was rescued from a delightful Palladian building that was demolished to make way for this example of 70s architecture. Nicely domestic in scale these flats are very acceptable, were it not for the louvre vents over the front doors.

View this memorial on a map

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Penton Estate

Information Subjects commemorated

Captain Henry Penton, MP

MP for Winchester who gave his name to the Pentonville area of London by buil...

Read More

Penton Estate

Built by Henry Penton in the late 1700s, possibly London's first planned subu...

Read More