Plaque: Palingswick House
Erection date: 2015
Palingswick House was built in the mid 19th century as a private residence, possibly for Barnabas Steel, whose initials appear on the façade. By the 1880s it was in institutional use, first as a Kensington & Chelsea Board of Guardians school and then as a home for diabetic children. The house was renamed after the old manor of Palingswick in 1954.
Hammersmith and Fulham Historic Buildings Group 2015
Site: West London Free School (2 memorials)
W6, King Street, 241, Palingswick House
From Fulham SW6: "Palingswick House was originally built around 1849 as a family home, but over the years has been used as an orphanage and workhouse, the orphanage's superintendent’s house, a school, children’s home, hostel for diabetic children and a community resource centre." The West London Free School was set up in 2011 and moved here a few years afterwards following a planning application.
Swaab died at 266 King Street, a short distance to the west, on the north side of this road.