Plaque: Norway House
On this site stood Norway House and Norway Yard.
By the beginning of the 19th century this fine house set in its own large garden, had become a famous boarding academy for young gentlemen. We know that in 1805 the school was run by Bidmead & Johnson, but by 1840 control was in the hands of James Hessey. There is a story in Mary Hill’s “Hampstead in Light and Shade” of bread and apples being smuggled in to the hungry pupils by a kindly maidservant. The house and garden underwent further changes of use before being swept away in 1931 to make room for a garage. At a point nearby coaches set-off for London when Hampstead was a country town.
Erected by the Hampstead Plaque Fund
The plaque below reads: "A Spencer Group Development, Architects: Ian Fraser, John Roberts & Partners, Contractors: Spencer Construction Limited, 1982"
Site: Norway House (1 memorial)
NW3, Spencer Walk
These two plaques are hidden in the shade above the yellow sign at the centre of the picture. This courtyard/parking area is through an arch off the High Street.