Plaque: London Bridge roadway
This churchyard formed part of the roadway approach to Old London Bridge, 1176 - 1831.
The Corporation of the City of London
Site: London Bridge roadway (2 memorials)
EC3, Lower Thames Street, St Magnus the Martyr
The main route to the Old London Bridge used to be down Fish Street Hill and past this church. As the bridge became busier it was found necessary to cut an archway through the tower of the church to ease access for pedestrians. Historic UK have a good picture of the site in use. Eventually the bridge was rebuilt a little up-stream (to the west) so, in 1831, the church gained some of the old, disused roadway, and some much-deserved peace.