mobile nav

Memorial

Kew Gardens Station footbridge Kew Gardens Station

Credit for this entry to:
Alan Patient of www.plaquesof london.co.uk

Plaque: Kew Gardens Station footbridge

Inscription

Opened in 1912, Kew Gardens station footbridge is an early and rare British example of reinforced concrete, using a method pioneered by the French engineer François Hennebique. The bridge is remarkable for its high sides and the curious projections over the railway lines. Both features were designed to protect pedestrians from the dirt of the railway's steam engines.
The footbridge was restored in 2004 with support of
Heritage Lottery Fund
The Kew Society
English Heritage
London Borough of Richmond upon Thames
The Civic Trust

Site: Kew Gardens Station (2 memorials)

TW9, North Road

View this memorial on a map

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Kew Gardens Station footbridge

Information Subjects commemorated

François Hennebique

Engineer and builder. One of the early innovators with reinforced concrete in...

Read More

Kew Gardens Station Footbridge

Grade II listed, thsi bridge is a very early example of the use of reinforced...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Kew Gardens Station footbridge

Information Created by

Civic Trust

From the picture source website: " founded in 1957 by Duncan Sandys, a Britis...

Read More

Kew Society

Originally founded as the Kew Union. It seeks to enhance the beauty of Kew an...

Read More

Borough of Richmond upon Thames

Formed by the merger of the Municipal Boroughs of Twickenham and of Richmond ...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Kew Gardens Station footbridge

Information Also at this site

Kew Gardens Station rebuilding

The plaque is in the station entrance hall.

Read More