Plaque: John Keats - Enfield
The house which stood on this site was built in the late 17th century. Later it was used as a school and John Keats was educated here. In 1849 it became the station house and was demolished in 1872.
Site: John Keats - Enfield (2 memorials)
EN1, Southbury Road, Enfield Town Railway Station
The plaque is on the left hand side of the entrance hall.
Francis Frith has a photo of the station in 1945, showing the Victorian buildings that replaced the old school building.
Mapping Keats's Progress provides some information about Keats and this school: At the time Southbury Road was known as Nags Head Road and the school was sometimes called Enfield School or Academy. It was a progressive boarding school for boys, run by Reverend John Clarke. It had been attended by a couple of Keats's mother's brothers. Then Keats attended with his brother George, and later his youngest brother Tom followed. Keats became a keen and critical reader while at the school.