Plaque: Islington war memorial arch - foundation stone at the left
Erection date: 12/7/1923
This stone was laid by the Lady Patricia Ramsay on the 12th of July 1923.
Site: Islington War memorial arch - outside (3 memorials)
N7, Manor Gardens
The two plaques refer to the construction of the new Royal Northern Hospital Casualty Department, July - November 1923. The building itself was created as a war memorial, with the list of the fallen inside this surviving arch.
This arch is all that remains of all the hospital buildings that used to be in this part of Manor Gardens: the Nurses Home, St David's wing and the Casualty Department. Even this structure has not been left alone. We can't find an image of the arch as originally built but the second floor is of a more recent design.