Plaque: IC - Geber
Geber, 8th Ceny. AD
Site: Imperial Chemistry plaques (10 memorials)
SW7, Imperial College Road, Observatory Road, Chemistry RCS
From the Imperial College website: The Royal College of Science building was completed in 1906 ….. The building was designed by architect Sir Aston Webb …. At the time, a new building with large, modern and well-equipped laboratories was needed especially for chemistry and physics. The original building was outwardly symmetrical, with a chemistry side (towards Exhibition Road) and a physics side (towards Queen's Gate). The building stands on the south side of Imperial Institute Road, which was an ordinary through-road for traffic between Queen's Gate and Exhibition Road at the time. Parts of the building were demolished in the 1960s and 1970s and, today, only a small section of the original Royal College of Science building remains and is used by the Department of Chemistry.
Reading left to right the 10 plaques are: Archimedes, Hipparchus, Geber, Roger Bacon, Copernicus, Gilbert, Galileo, Kepler, Descartes, Torricelli.