Plaque

Hornsey Central Hospital - foundation stone, 1937

Hornsey Central Hospital war memorial and others Hornsey Central Hospital - foundation stone, 1937

Erection date: 29/5/1937

Inscription

This stone was laid on May 29th 1937 by The Right Hon. Lord Southward of Fernhurst, the President of this Hospital.
Ald. W. G. Barrenger, JP - Chairman of Council
J. A. Ritchie - Chairman of Committee
Spencer W. Homewood - Hon. Secretary
Councillor Victor G. Read - Hon. Treasurer
J. M. Lethbridge, FRIBA - Architect
C. & F. Bryen - Builders

This extension opened in 1938.

Site: Hornsey Central Hospital war memorial and others (10 memorials)

N8, Park Road, 151, Hornsey Central Health Centre

There are 10 memorials in this area around the the war memorial building in our photo. The two pier heads are to the right of the building, at the entrance to a small area of grass which contains 3 uncomfortable-looking benches which seem to be constructed from other architectural stone-work from the demolished buildings.

The two VC pavement plaques are laid in the terrace to the right of the war memorial building.

To the right of the steps there is a disabled access ramp, the walls of which have been used to hold the other 6 plaques, rescued from the old buildings.

From the magnificent Lost Hospitals of London: The Hornsey Cottage Hospital was built by Hornsey Borough Council on land donated by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The foundation stone was laid in 1907 but the Hospital did not open until 1910. See this 1910 map.

The building was extended in 1924 as part of a War Memorial for those killed during WW1. See this 1935 map. In 1927 it changed its name to Hornsey Central Hospital because of nursing staff recruitment problems - nurses were unwilling to work in a 'cottage' hospital. The Hospital was further extended in 1938 and again in 1956. It closed in 2001 and the buildings became derelict and were squatted until 2007, when demolition began.

From the Imperial War Museum we understand that in 1925 (or 1924 according to the stone itself) the South Ward (the War Memorial extension according to the stone itself) was erected and the foundation stone was laid by Mrs Anderson. Seems likely that the memorial stone for James Anderson, financed by his mother, was unveiled at the same ceremony. 

Hornsey Historical Society has a photo of the war memorial building and other hospital buildings which have since been demolished. This article describes how residents were involved in deciding on the form that the Hornsey war memorial should take. They voted overwhelmingly for this building "the hospital entrance on the main road (Park Road) would have a special feature, ‘of an artistic memorial design’, with an entrance hall hung with marble tablets recording the names of the Fallen". The War Memorial building was opened on Armistice Day, 11th November 1921 and dedicated by the Bishop of Willesden.

The IWM site seems to suggest that the building in our photograph is the 'Hornsey memorial chapel' but we don't think that's right - there are no religious symbols on the building, nothing church-like at all, and the HHS article makes no mention of a memorial chapel.

The Wellcome Collection holds the hospital's 1929 Annual Report which has a good photo showing the layout of the buildings on Park Road.

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Hornsey Central Hospital - foundation stone, 1937

Subjects commemorated i

C. & F. Bryen

Builders active in 1937, but the London Gazette carried this: "NOTICE is here...

Read More

Alderman W. G. Barrenger

In 1926, as Mayor of Hornsey he opened the newly designated Priory Park. Chai...

Read More

Spencer W. Homewood

Hon. Secretary of of the Council of the Hornsey Central Hospital in 1924 and ...

Read More

James Morton Lethbridge

Born London, a son of George Lethbridge. He articled in architecture under hi...

Read More

Councillor Victor G. Read

Hon. Treasurer of of the Council of the Hornsey Central Hospital in 1937.

Read More

Show all 6

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Hornsey Central Hospital - foundation stone, 1937

Created by i

Julius Salter Elias, Viscount Southwood

'Fairlight' in Wood Lane, Highgate, was built in 1908 for Julius Elias. who w...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Hornsey Central Hospital - foundation stone, 1937

Also at this site i

Hornsey Central Hospital - foundation stone, 1907

Hornsey Central Hospital - foundation stone, 1907

To the glory of God and for the healing for the poor this stone was laid on 7...

Read More

Hornsey Central Hospital - foundation stone, 1911

Hornsey Central Hospital - foundation stone, 1911

This is probably the 'opening' stone for the hospital which was begun in 1907.

Read More

Hornsey Central Hospital war memorial

Hornsey Central Hospital war memorial

This plaque is placed above the door of the War Memorial building. It seems t...

Read More

Hornsey Central Hospital war memorial - Brett Cloutman VC

Hornsey Central Hospital war memorial - Brett Cloutman VC

{Beneath a representation of the Victoria Cross medal:} Major Brett Cloutman,...

Read More

Hornsey Central Hospital war memorial - Edward Bamford VC

Hornsey Central Hospital war memorial - Edward Bamford VC

{Beneath a representation of the Victoria Cross medal:} Captain Edward Bamfor...

Read More

Nearby Memorials

Crayford Chartists

Crayford Chartists

DA1, Old Road, 170, One Bell Inn

The One Bell Inn Public House. Crayford Chartists held their first meeting here on 21st June 1844 to campaign for political and social re...

1 subject commemorated, 3 creators
River Effra - Canterbury Square 4

River Effra - Canterbury Square 4

SW9, Brixton Road, Canterbury Square

Photographed and numbered from north to south. A nearby information board: On your right is the old Roman road to the south coast (now t...

1 subject commemorated
Camp Griffiss, Block B, NW corner

Camp Griffiss, Block B, NW corner

TW11, Bushy Park

There were 16 of these open-book style ground plaques, marking the corners of blocks A - D, the 4 main large blocks of buildings in WW2 C...

3 subjects commemorated
Bowler plaque - Four Tankards

Bowler plaque - Four Tankards

E1, Brick Lane

This cast-iron roundel, showing 4 tankards around an eagle motif, is one of 22 - see Bowler's page for more details.

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Dr Joseph T Clover

Dr Joseph T Clover

W1, Cavendish Place, 3

Placed 2 March 1994.

1 subject commemorated, 2 creators