Plaque: Hammersmith Palais
Erection date: 2014
Hammersmith Palais opened as a roller skating rink in 1910. Later it served as an ice rink and, most famously, as a 'palais de danse' with a capacity of 2,500. Dancing continued all through the Second World War despite the Blitz. From the 1960s the Palais was increasingly used for live concerts and club nights. It finally closed in 2007.
Hammersmith and Fulham Historic Buildings Group
Site: Hammersmith Palais (1 memorial)
W6, Shepherd's Bush Road, 230 - 236