Keystone: Grimaldi keystone
Grimaldi's grave is just around the corner, in the churchyard.
Site: Grimaldi keystone (1 memorial)
N1, Pentonville Road
We are immensely proud of having spotted this keystone, from the top of a bus.
Built in 1787 as Pentonville Chapel, in 1847 this church became known as Saint James, Pentonville. The architect, Mr Hurst, is buried in the vault. For a time it served as the official church of the International Circus Clown's Club and housed the annual service for circus members. The church was declared redundant in May 1978. On the web there are references to it being demolished in 1985 but this surely is the original building converted into offices. The front facade has at least been rebuilt as a reproduction of that of the church. It was during the conversion that this extremely unusual keystone was added. See Ornamental Passions for more information.