Plaque: Girls Friendly Society hostel
Erection date: 25/2/1913
This stone was laid by Mrs Chaloner Chute, Central President of the G.F.S., 25th February 1913.
This foundation stone is behind railings, hence the squew-whiff photo.
Site: Girls Friendly Society hostel (1 memorial)
SW1, Francis Street, 29
The plaque is just to the left of the entrance to what is now a St Mungo's building. Designed by R. S. Ayling this 1913 hostel housed about 80 respectable working women and the offices of the London Diocesan Girls Friendly Society. The carvings either side of the stone door case, by H. C. Fehr, include some friendly girls' faces.