Plaque: Gatti icehouse
A large ice well was built here in 1862 by Carlo Gatti to hold 1500 tons of Norwegian ice.
Victorian London has a wonderful contemporary description of the ice pit. In 1895 this Gatti ice house was taken over by a toy manufacturer, G&J Lines Ltd.
Site: Gatti icehouse (1 memorial)
N7, Caledonian Road, Ice House Flats
We are rather puzzled why Gatti chose this as a site for his ice house. Proximity to the Caledonian Market would have been useful but how did the ice get delivered to the ice house? There's no canal nearby and we are not aware there ever was.