Plaque: Fishmongers' Almshouses
Erection date: 1996
This gateway once formed the entrance to St Peter's Hospital, the almshouses of the Fishmongers Company, whose foundation stone was laid on the 22nd June 1849. The site was considered "As airy a spot as any in the environs of the capital".
There were 42 houses, a chapel, hall and library. The buildings were demolished in 1923 and replaced by housing for the London County Council, and subsequently by the present development in 1978.
Wandsworth Society 1996
The gateway piers bear the inscriptions 'London County Council' on the left and 'East Hill Estate' on the right.
The blue plaque on the left of the gates reads: 'Supported by the Lottery Heritage Fund. The coat of arms of the London County Council was restored to this gateway by Wandsworth Council supported by the Lottery Heritage Fund in August 2001. Wandsworth Council.'
Site: Fishmongers' Almshouses (1 memorial)
SW18, East Hill, East Hill Estate