Plaque: Elias Davy - Church Street
Elias Davy, citizen & mercer of London, founded the original Elis David Almshouse on this site in 1447. Residents moved to Duppas Hill Terrace in 1974.
Croydon Almshouse Charities
Site: Elias Davy - Church Street (1 memorial)
CR0, Church Street, Elis David Almshouse
These alms houses were built 1875 (north range) and 1887 (south range), and the site has the remains of a Second World War air raid shelter. The site is now known asRamsey Court and we found a number of community organisations at this address, so perhaps it no longer provides homes.