mobile nav

Memorial

Dr John Langdon Down Dr John Langdon Down

Bust: Dr John Langdon Down

Erection date: 1997

Inscription

{On the medallion, just below the shoulder:}
1997

{On the plaque:}
This medallion was erected in tribute and respect to the memory of Dr J. L. H. Langdon Down by the employees.
1997

We could not get close enough to take easily legible photographs and initially read the dates as '1957' but given that Normansfield closed in 1997 we think that must be the dates.

Site: Dr John Langdon Down (1 memorial)

TW11, Kingston Road, Langdon Park

All these buildings used to be the Normansfield Training Institution for Imbeciles.  They are now some up-market housing and a museum.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Dr John Langdon Down

Information Subjects commemorated

72003

Dr John Langdon Haydon Down

Doctor specialising in mental illnesses who classified what is now called Dow...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Dr John Langdon Down

Information Created by

72002

Normansfield Asylum

See Lost Hospitals of London for an excellent history of this hospital. Brief...

Read More