Erection date: 4/10/2000
Working Donkeys of Covent Garden
This plaque is in memory of the 100,000 costermongers' donkeys that worked in and around the market.
South East Working Donkey Group
Supported by Westminster City Council & Covent Garden Area Trust
4th October 2000
Covent Garden Area Trust has an interesting page about the unveiling ceremony.
Site: Covent Garden Market (4 memorials)
WC2, Southampton Street, Jubilee Market Hall
In our picture the Jubilee Market Traders plaque can be seen on the back wall of the arcade. In front of it, the Queen's stone plaque is to the left and to the right is one that dully reads "Speyhawk Land & Estates Ltd, 1987. Contractors: Tellings Ltd. Architects: C.G.H.P. Architects". The Donkey plaque is being admired by the red-coated lady.
Bonus fact: Before the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1540 the Covent Garden area was the Convent Garden associated with Westminster Abbey. Somewhere along the line the "n" was lost.