Plaque: City of London School - EC4, Embankment
Erection date: 14/10/1880
This foundation stone of The City of London School (endowed by John Carpenter in the year 1442, established under an Act of Parliament of the year 1834 by the Corporation of London in Honey Lane Market, Cheapside and removed thence to this site in the year 1883) was laid on the 14th day of October 1880 in the mayorality of Sir Francis Wyatt Truscott, Knt. by
John Edward Walford Esq CC - Chairman of the Committee
Davis & Emanuel - Archts
John Mowlem & Co - Builders
Wikipedia gives the architects as "Davis and Emanuel Pevsner". We believe the "Pevsner" to be an error, that has been widely copied.
Site: City of London School - EC4, Embankment (7 memorials)
EC4, Victoria Embankment, 60
We've listed the statues left to right across the front of the building, with More all on his lonesome on the west (left) facade.
The 1880 foundation stone is on the west elevation, at the south end of John Carpenter Street.
The 1936 foundation stone is free-standing in the front light well.
Architecture.com gives the architect as Davis & Emanuel, 1882, and "Formerly the City of London School for Boys, it is now part of J. P. Morgan bank. This block was restored in 1991 as part of the new premises by Building Design Partnership."
Investigating the 1936 plaque we found that Aim hold a "plan of new building at City of London School for Boys, 1936" but we can find no other reference so we don't know what or where it was. However the National Library of Scotland have an 1895 map showing that the school extended northwards on the site. It's likely that the buildings in that area were more utilitarian than that facing the Embankment, and that one or more were rebuilt in 1936.
The original ornate building and the large 1991 building behind are now occupied by J. P. Morgan. We'd guess that the 1936 building was demolished to allow the 1991 development and that this is when the foundation stone was reclaimed and placed in the light well, for want of anywhere better.
The school has had 3 addresses. It begun life in 1837 in Milk Street on part of the site of the old Honey Lane Market. It moved to the Victoria Embankment building in 1883. In 1986, the school moved to its present site in purpose-built facilities in Queen Victoria Street, just to the west of the Millennium Bridge.
Be all that as it may, aren't the three double-tiered turrets a delight?