Plaque: Captain Cook - E1
Erection date: 29/4/1970
He surveyed the St Lawrence River in 1759. In three voyages, 1768 - 1779, he charted the coasts of New Zealand, the East Coast of Australia and the Pacific Coast of North America.
On this site stood a house occupied for some years by Captain James Cook, RNFRS, 1728 -1779, circumnavigator and explorer.
Erected by the Greater London Council to commemorate the bicentenary of his landing at Botany Bay, New South Wales. 29 April 1770 - 29 April 1970.
Site: Captain Cook’s house - E1 (2 memorials)
E1, Mile End Road, 88
The address was 7 Assembly Row when Cook and his family moved in, 1764.