Plaque: Cannon Street Station
Erection date: /12/2014
The Sir John Hawkshaw
Cannon Street Station was officially opened by South Eastern Railway, in 1866. Designed by Sir John Hawkshaw, the station had eight platforms under a single span arch roof. The adjacent railway bridge across the Thames is also by Hawkshaw. Far below the station are the remains is a Roman palace, built in the 1st century. The 'Steelyard', used by German and Flemish merchants, stood here from the 10th century until it was destroyed by the Great Fire of London, in 1666. In 1690, the Company of Plumbers built their livery hall here, where it remained until the 1860s.
These premises were opened by J. D. Wetherspoon in December 2014.
Site: Cannon Street Station (1 memorial)
EC4, Cannon Street, Cannon Street Station, The Sir John Hawkshaw pub
In our photo the plaque can be seen to the left of the four lamps.