Erection date: 25/7/1901
Borough of Camberwell Public Library
This foundation stone was laid July 25 1901 by J. Passmore Edwards Esq., the donor of the building which has been erected on land generously given by the right honourable the Lord Llangattock.
Matthew Wallace, JP - Mayor
Charles William Tagg - Town Clerk
Maurice B. Adams FRIBA and William Oxtoby AMICE - Joint architects
Site: Camberwell Library and Baths (4 memorials)
SE5, Wells Way
The library is the northern building, pools to the south. The Library plaque is below the bay window. The Baths plaque is on the white stone between the two entrances. They were laid on the same day.
The entrance to the library is around the northern corner, in what is now Burgess Park. The entrance to the Baths, on Wells Road, is delightfully ornamented with carvings by Gunthorpe and Horsman of mermaids in watery foliage clutching their tails, and faces of a boy and of a girl peering out from behind similar foliage, appropriately above the words 'Men' and 'Women'.