mobile nav

Memorial

Animals War Memorial Dispensary - bronze frieze Animals War Memorial Dispensary

Credit for this entry to:
Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

Relief: Animals War Memorial Dispensary - bronze frieze

Erection date: 10/11/1932

Inscription

{at the bottom right:}
Frederick Brook Hitch Sc 1932

This bronze frieze shows a winged Victory holding wreaths and flanked by camels, mules, bullocks, horses, elephants, dogs and pigeons, all animals used in war. Brook Hitch won a competition sponsored by the R.S.P.C.A. to create this work.

Site: Animals War Memorial Dispensary (2 memorials)

NW6, Cambridge Avenue, 10

This 19th century building was converted by the architect John Oliver Brook Hitch MC, into an animal dispensary. It was opened on 10 November 1932 by Frances Evelyn ‘Daisy’ Greville, Countess of Warwick, a well-known animal lover. In its first year it treated 6,000 animals and continues to treat sick animals today. The Animal World of December 1932 carries a long article about this dispensary with pictures.

Incidentally, there is a very strange building right next door, to the right in our photo. Strange outside and extraordinary inside.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Animals War Memorial Dispensary - bronze frieze

Information Subjects commemorated

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Animals War Memorial Dispensary - bronze frieze

Information Created by

49881

Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

The following text came from The RSPCA site: "In 1822, Richard Martin MP pilo...

Read More

50534

F. Brook Hitch

Born London. Lived in Hertford. RBS. Our colleague Andrew Behan has research...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Animals War Memorial Dispensary - bronze frieze

Information Also at this site

49845

Animals War Memorial Dispensary - 2 stone plaques

{Plaque to the left of the door:} This building is dedicated as a memorial t...

Read More