Wimbledon Society / John Evelyn Society
Group From 1903
Founded by Richardson Evans and others, to 'safeguard the amenities of the Wimbledon district and to promote an interest in local history and wildlife'. It was originally known as the John Evelyn Club and became a society in 1949. It is now known as the Wimbledon Society. Although John Evelyn had no known connections with Wimbledon, his name was chosen because he was a man who ‘showed so delicate a love of nature, such cultivated taste in art'. We have found four plaques in the same style in the Wimbledon area, which have no indication as to who erected them, but we are sure that this group is responsible.