Place    From 1914 

Whiteley Village

Categories: Property, Social Welfare

A retirement village created with a bequest from William Whiteley. A charitable trust provides almshouses for people of limited financial means.

From the Arts and Crafts Movement in Surrey: "The site for the village was chosen in 1911, with Walter Cave as consulting architect. The layout of the village was by Frank Atkinson (architect of Selfridges), 'Garden Suburb' in concept, formal and symmetrical with a monument to Whiteley at the centre. Building took place principally between 1914 to 1921 providing houses by Sir Reginald Blomfield, Sir Mervyn McCartney, Frank Atkinson, Ernest Newton, Sir Aston Webb, Walter Cave and Sir Ernest George with the church of St Mark by Sir Walter Tapper. There are 262 cottages in almshouse style and each with its own garden, two churches, a village hall, shop, post office and library; the villagers enjoy a huge range of clubs and activities."

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Whiteley Village

Commemorated ati

Aston Webb at Whiteley Village

This small enamel plaque looks as if it was installed when the cottages were ...

Read More

Whiteley Village - foundation stone

This foundation stone was laid by the Right Honourable and Right Reverend Art...

Read More

William Whiteley - bust

1831    1907 William Whiteley {On ribbon:} labora et vive {Latin for: work a...

Read More

William Whiteley - plaque

The quotation is from Psalm 41.1.

Read More

Other Subjects

Edward Goulding

Edward Goulding

3rd son of Henry and Agne Goulding. Married Elizabeth Lacraft in 1601.

Person, Property

1 memorial
West Square

West Square

West Square celebrated its centenary in September 1991. We can do no better than repeat the excellent text that the West Square Residents Association has provided on a notice board at the gate: "T...

Place, Property

1 memorial
Mattock & Parsons

Mattock & Parsons

Builders active 1890 - 1912 at least, initially as Mattock Bros, and based in Wood Green at one point. This image comes from the 1909 Book of the Exhibition of Houses and Cottages, Romford Garden S...

Group, Property

1 memorial
Joseph Hill

Joseph Hill

Commissioned the building of the Earl of Essex pub in 1902.

Person, Property

1 memorial
The Cedars

The Cedars

Former house owned by Lord Castleton. The home of Mary Fletcher from 1763 - 1768.

Building, Property

1 memorial