Place From 7/7/1890
An information board near to the Fawcett house plaque gives: "Vauxhall Park was created by a special Act of Parliament in 1888 on land whose history can be traced back to the 11th Century. A group of houses previously stood on the site, including one owned by Henry Fawcett, a Member of Parliament and an innovative Postmaster General. After his death in 1884 his widow Millicent, with the Kyrle Society and Octavia Hill (founder of the National Trust), raised funds to buy the land and commissioned the landscape architect Fanny Rollo Wilkinson to lay out the site. Vauxhall Park was first opened by HRH the Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII, on 7th July 1890."
See Friends of Vauxhall Park for more on the creation of the Park.