mobile nav

Subject

Tun prison, Cornhill

Tun prison, Cornhill

Place 

Categories: Law

The Sole Society say The Tun "stood here between 1283 and 1401 and was used in the main to incarcerate ‘street walkers and lewd women’. Stocks and a pillory replaced it and in 1703 Daniel Defoe, who had a shop in nearby Freeman’s Court, was made to spend a day in the pillory for writing an inflammatory pamphlet." And from Vision of Britain: "a prison for night-walkers, called the Tun prison, built in 1283, somewhat in the form of a tun standing on end."

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Tun prison, Cornhill

Information Commemorated at

51170

Cornhill pump

We understand "the neighbouring fire officers" to mean the four fire assuranc...

Read More